Having trouble remembering all the important questions to ask during your patient encounter? Then try this Cough Mnemonic for USMLE Step 2 CS.
- Offer a cup of water or a tissue to your patient if he/she is coughing.
- If your patient is holding a tissue make sure to ask her to show it to you to see if there is any blood.
- Ask whether they have tried to quit smoking in the past. Educate them on tobacco cessation.
- HEENT: Inspect Mouth, Throat, Cervical lymph nodes, frontal sinus transillumination, maxillary sinus transillumination
- Cardiovascular exam: Auscultation
- Pulmonary exam: Auscultation, Palpation, Percussion, Tactile fremitus
- Abdominal exam: Auscultation, Palpation
- Pneumonia (typical & atypical)
- Acute COPD exacerbation
- Lung Cancer (with chronic history of smoking)
- Lung abscess
- Wegener’s granulomatosis
- PPD skin test (to screen for latent TB)
- Blood culture
- Sputum gram stain, Acid Fast smear
- Chest X-ray
- Chest CT
- Bronchoscopy with lung biopsy
Click on the Image below if you are having trouble with your Time Management:
Did you like this Cough mnemonic? Click on the Image below for More USMLE Step 2 CS Mnemonics:
Cough Mnemonic. Best Cough Mnemonic. Cough Mnemonic USMLE step 2 CS.